A treasure trove of rural life in the Lammermuirs
The Heritage Centre is in what was previously Longformacus Parish Church. There has been a church on this site on the south side of Dye Water since 1243. It was extensively rebuilt from a ruinous state in 1730, repaired again in 1830 and renovated in 1892. There are stained glass windows by Marjorie Kemp and G J Baguley including windows in memory of the Brown family of Longformacus and the Smiths of Whitchester.
The Centre contains a treasure trove of rural life in the Lammermuirs going back around 200 years. There is a wealth of memorabilia and photographs, including livestock records, accounts from surrounding farms, images of the Lammermuir Curling Club (once World Champions!) pictures of school days, estate life and shooting parties of days gone by. These displays sit alongside antique farming artefacts and tools which have been donated to the Heritage Centre. The Centre is not routinely open although there are occasional Open Days in the summer. However, visitors are welcome by appointment; please phone either 01361 890309 or 01361 890200.